- Fantastic opportunity to contribute to the growth of social housing services for people with intellectual disability
- No industry experience necessary - energy, drive and a great attitude a MUST!
- Leading and growing NFP organisation in Canberra
- Full-time, fixed-term contract with extension likely for the right person
About the Organisation
For more than 25 years, Focus ACT has been supporting people with intellectual disability to live a safe and happy life in their homes. The level of support ranges from basic assistance for daily living and managing a home, to intensive 24-hour help.
- 96% of clients, families and guardians are very satisfied with Focus services!
- 92% staff engagement rate - people love to work for Focus!
- Excellent training and career development opportunities!
- Innovation and continual learning culture!
To learn more about Focus ACT, visit their website here
About the Opportunity
With an organisation-wide commitment to organic growth in the next 2-3 years, Focus ACT now has an exciting career opportunity for a Housing Manager to join our team based in Canberra. This is a full-time, 12-month fixed-term contract role, with the goal of permanent appointment for the right person at the end of this period.
There are two key components to this role:
- The first will see you managing a small portfolio of housing stock (approximately 19 properties), that are tenanted by clients. This will include activities such as property inspections, setting rents and administering repair and maintenance programmes with contractors/tradesmen, including the management of on-call housing emergencies. You will spend the majority of your time familiarising yourself with the organisation's processes and procedures when you first join.
- The second key component of the role (and the really exciting one!) is to use your initiative, drive and business development acumen to look at opportunities for Focus ACT to expand our social housing services for clients (or put simply - to increase our stock portfolio of properties). This might be through discussions with social housing providers, the acquisition of private properties and/or even potential opportunities to acquire like businesses. The channels you utilise are less important than the end goal, which is contributing to business and revenue growth through property acquisition. It is expected that this component of the role will become more of your priority once you are embedded in the organisation.
What you need to succeed
Don't have housing or property management experience? Never worked in a BDM role before? Don't have tertiary qualifications? Good news! Whilst these things would certainly be a bonus and held in high regard, they will not be deciding factors in your success in this role.
What will, you ask? Put simply - ENERGY, DRIVE and a great ATTITUDE!
- You need to be excited and focused on your goal to investigate different avenues that will have a direct impact on the organisation's revenue growth targets;
- You need to have the energy and drive to work independently, whilst still contributing to a collaborative team environment;
- You need to have bang-on interpersonal and written communication skills, and be patient and empathetic when liaising with clients and their families; and
- You will have values that align with the organisation and a commitment to undertake ongoing industry training
In addition to the above qualities, you'll need the following:
- A First Aid Certificate (or willingness to obtain prior to employment)
- Current driver’s license, and your own car with comprehensive insurance
- Current Working With Vulnerable People registration (or ability to obtain prior to employment)
- Be willing to undergo a Police Check prior to commencing employment
The starting salary for this role is circa $65,000, inclusive of super, with generous salary packaging options. We say 'starting salary' because your success in this role will drive how quickly this increases! Basically - the quicker you get results, the quicker this figure is likely to increase.
Focus also offers a host of additional benefits including long service leave entitlement after 5 years of employment and ongoing career development and progression, making this role an ideal opportunity for an individual seeking professional growth or a career move into a different industry.
So what are you waiting for? Maybe you are a property manager looking for a chance to expand on your current skill base. Maybe you are a BDM looking for a more satisfying and fulfilling role. Or maybe you are just an energetic, gung-ho fire-cracker looking for a chance to prove yourself. Either way - we want to hear from you - apply now!
Focus is an equal opportunity employer. Australian citizens and individuals who live in Australia with a valid visa need only apply.